Friday, August 9, 2013

Pantry Living Weeks 7 & 8

I'm still here, avoiding the grocery store as much as possible. Summer company arrived and I cheated once to buy syrup for waffles at 8am. A friend sent me a recipe for homemade syrup, which I plan on trying but that also requires an ingredient I need to buy.


Pantry after 8 weeks

Unopened cereal box count: 10

 I'm on the home stretch of Pantry Living. It will last only 3 more weeks, 2 of which we'll be visiting family on vacation! In anticipation of our family vaca I set aside snacks for the plane ride weeks ago. So glad I did. The plane snacks include: 4 granola bars, 1 bag swedish fish, 4 fruit snacks, and 2 notebooks (not for consumption). 

My current concern is my baby and her food supply. She likes to feed herself, but she has only the beginnings of a first tooth. I struggle to find a variety of foods she can feed herself that are healthy. That search continues.

One more thing. I am out of bagged long grain rice. I do have a 20yr long term can of rice in my emergency food supply. Do I really save it for the next 20yrs waiting for a disaster? or do I rotate it through? Not gonna open it this summer but still not sure what to do.

I've begun my shopping list for the beginning of Sept. That will be fun!

3 comments:

  1. Have you read Baby Led Weaning? It's a book about feeding your baby actual solids right off the bat--skipping purées. (It's not about weaning her early ...) You might be surprised what she can handle, even without teeth. [end unsolicited advice] Look at you go! What a cool experiment! You're nearly there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.! Amazing! This is Stacey Mangum. I'm too lazy to log in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following off Deja's comment, I actually started letting toothless Cole feed himself. Last night I gave him raw strips of red bell pepper which he mangled but somehow consumed. Watermelon "fingers" were also a big go, as are avocado slices. Other friends have tried steamed broccoli florets, cauliflower, or carrot strips. They (like Babies R Us and Walmart, I think) do have mesh bag thingies that you can put any food in and the babies can gnaw on, getting little pieces at a time. I have one friend who loves that. GL--it's always tough to find stuff that isn't junk that babies can eat!

    ReplyDelete