Thursday, November 3, 2016

DIY Vinyl Apron from a Tote Bag

Necessity is the mother of invention. I was throwing a "painting party" for my young women at church and at the eleventh hour I realized we lacked aprons. I ran to the dollar tree hoping to find something and I came home with 9 vinyl tote bags and 3 spools of gross grain ribbon. An hour later with my scissors, hot glue gun and sewing machine I had 9 vinyl aprons for my youth to wear and stay clean. Here is the super easy tutorial.
Turn this.....
...into this!

1. Cut the 2 side panels from you bag.

2. Lay bag flat and cut off one handle completely.

3. Remove only one handle strap from the other end.

4. Fold the corners at the top of your apron in making a triangle. Apply hot glue to the right angle.



5. Sew the strap you removed in step 2 to the spot you cut away on step 3.

6. Fold over the ends of both neck straps and sew with a zig-zag stitch to prevent fraying. Tie the two straps together in a simple square knot.

7. Cut cross grain ribbons about 18inches long. Sew the ribbons at the first fold mark on the bag/apron.

Finished! It really is that easy :)














No comments:

Post a Comment