Tuesday, June 22, 2010

3...2...1...

It's the final countdown until David is finished his first year of teaching! Tomorrow is his last day. Today was the last day for students. It has been a difficult year for him. Quick recap of the year-
Sept- School began for David at the Y.A.L.E. School, an alternative school. He taught middle school and high school age students. No more than 10 students in a room. His was self contained, meaning he taught all subjects except PE, Health and computers. He had lunch with his students and no prep periods. He had to learn lots about Spec. Ed. and all the paperwork that goes along with it.

He had good days and bad, some really bad. The students could be violent or threatening, making for a stressful environment.

He began his masters degree in Special Ed this fall also.

By spring David decided he needed to look for another school to teach in. NJ isn't in the greatest economic shape at the moment. Teachers are losing jobs or taking cut backs throughout the entire state. He has applied to many schools in and out of NJ. It is a giant step of faith to walk into the future without a plan but we know Heavenly Father will guide us.

I have shed more than one tear this year knowing my husband is unhappy at his job. Some days I asked him if he would be able to get up the next morning and do it all over again. I know he did it for me and our children.

We've been blessed to have medical insurance, a good steady income, and new friends. David has many years experience after this year. And he's been able to share the gospel with those he's met. He was able to show those around him who an mormon is and what they're like. He's had spiritual discussions with co-workers on the worth of souls is great in the sight of God and that we don't have to earn His love. He's shown them Mormons are Christians.

My husband is incredible and I love him to pieces. He works so hard to provide for us. I once asked him what I could do to make it all easier for him. He said "you're already doing it. When I come home you don't yell at me, you're nice to me and you and Lily love me." Well, my job is a lot easier than his has been. Thank you for being so amazing David!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to David for making it through the year! Now he can relax and breathe and enjoy his summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Dave on finishing the year. I know it's not easy when it's terrible, and it sounds like it was terrible for him. What a brave guy.

    ReplyDelete