Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pinterest is a dangerous place for me

I've been working feverishly throughout the house to get it looking cute. Its not finished and probably never will be but I've done some fun things. I stole many ideas from Pinterest and have lots more I'd like to try.

These are a few shots of our large master bedroom. I have more plans for this large space but don't know how much will be accomplished before the baby arrives.
Baby will be with us for the first while and later on will move into Lilia's room. I made the small pillow on the rocker which is velvet. And the cradle was a gift from a local family. Their grandfather made it. Its beautiful!
I spray painted this frame and put the collage together for David's nightstand.
I made these pillows for our couch, I don't think the pictures do them justice. The birds on the front of them are scraps I was given from an artist's studio.
I made the kitchen window valance. My kitchen is cherry themed.
I embellished these plain hand/dish towels with the same cherry fabric, red ribbon and the hanging one has the buttons. please ignore bad stove with only 2 working burners.
I made these large scrabble tiles for our family room downstairs. They are 6"x6" each. I bought a long board at Home Depot and they kindly cut it every 6 inches for me. I stained them 2x to get the right color. Then painted the letters and numbers on each before mounting them to the wall. I am so proud of this project.  Also in this photo is the hand art I did. I traced everyone's right hand then cut it out on cute paper and layered them on top of each other. When the baby arrives we'll add her hand to the mix and date it. And on the lower section of the wall are a few of Lilia's latest art projects. She's a budding artist!
Just a view of the large wall in our front room. We use this area as a computer space, library. We have a mixture of furniture in this room, new, old, and antique.
Above our large print family photo is a Brough sign i made. Another project I'm proud of. I downloaded letters, turned them black and white, cropped them to 4x6, printed them at home, put them in matching dollar store frames. I bought clearance wood at Home Depot, $0.51 a piece. Spray painted the three boards red, wood glued them together but to ensure their stability, I capped the ends with the top of a random fence board. I cut and sanded it, glued and screwed it together. The screws are black, not very noticeable but a nice small accent. Then I removed their stand from the back, gorilla glued the frames to the board, added hardware and VOILA!
Just some small things for the room. I bought the 2 lamps at a yard sale for $5 for both and sprayed their gold bases red. And the large vase used to be shiny mustard yellow and is now matte blue to match the pillow and curtain tie back accents.
I replaced the old lady poor condition lace curtains with these red sheer panels. I made the tie backs.
I also made the three pillows accenting our red recliner. Another project I'm proud of. The teal blue isn't well represented in this photo though.
The otherside of the room is more of the entry way. I turned a bookshelf on its side and made a bench and made the pillow its currently topped with. That pillow is meant for the couch but its temporary home is here. I love my gumball machine with its rod iron base (yard sale $5 find last year). and my London phone booth ($2 yard sale find last year) The collage, mirror, coat rack was an awesome $5.99 buy from Bed, Bath and Beyond this last week. Sorry but I can't resist sharing my deal finds. The painted stools in the bench/bookshelf is a temporary place for the hand painted stools from my Gpa.
Don't know how to take a pic of this sign but its a mirror from the dollar store. I put stickers on it and spray painted the whole sign red and peeled off the stickers. The phrase is a favorite scripture in our family, "If ye love me keep my commandments." John 14:15
This is a shot of Max's room. His racing stripes were a bear to paint but he loves them. My mom just found this fire engine bed for him at a yard sale and he loves it!
A shot of the rest of his room. Note the red fire engine "driving" on the racing stripes, was a gift from Lilia. She made it at school and she thought it was the perfect road for its display. Oh and his head board was $2.95 :)
Lilia's bed and butterfly wall stickers. She loves them! And her headboard was also $2.95. gotta love a deal!
Well this is a taste of the projects I've done around our house. Many less glamorous improvements but I guess you'll have to come visit us for the full effect.

6 comments:

  1. You've been working your tail off! Where do you find the energy!?! Your house is beautiful and your projects have turned out amazingly well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I've been wanting to see all your projects. They look great. And I'm jealous of your cherry kitchen. I wanted to do that but could never find anything cherry that I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... I'm impressed! I spent two days on Pinterest, then decided it was too overwhelming and haven't been back since, haha. Good job on making your new home so cute so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did so awesome! I love those letters! Can't wait to see it all in person on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Melanie!! I wish I was so motivated to get this house decorated. YOu did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made such a lovely nest for that baby and your other babies! The projects turned out great!

    ReplyDelete