Sunday, June 16, 2013

Pantry Living....can I do it?

My awesome hubby is a teacher. Teachers work 10 months of the year with a two month vacation. Sounds like a sweet gig. Unfortunately, summer vacation= no income. This awesome hubby of mine will be working a summer school enrichment program to make up for that, BUT it got me thinking. What if he didn't have work? What if that pay really stops? Or worse? Can I live off my pantry and freezer? Let's give it a go!

So here I am. Thursday was my husband's last day of work. I went to the grocery store for the last big trip of the summer. I did anticipate this so I've been stocking up on cereal, marshmallows, and salad dressing, you know the necessities of life. For the next 11 weeks I hope to prepare 77 days worth of food: 231 meals. It sounds daunting but its worth a shot.

Just some of the grub we'll be enjoying. (the giant box of popcorn is actually full of candles)
I allow myself to buy
  1. DAIRY(milk, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, you get the point.), 
  2. BREAD (but I did freeze a few loaves to delay this purchase a bit),
  3. EGGS (no chickens allowed in our city, besides, that's not my thing)
  4. PRODUCE(I wish I could garden all the fresh fruits and veggies we need but I've already killed the tomato plant I bought.)
Note: I reserve the right to take food from my parents. They are kind like that.

I also have a goal of Cash ONLY for the summer. Except for #1-#3 of my food allowances and for gas.

I'm so excited! Pantry living here I come!

1 comment: