Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pantry Living: Weeks 3, 4 & 5

WHOA Nelly! July is almost spent. Craziness! So my life is busier than normal this summer because of my recent church assignment. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love my Savior and I the young women at church that I've been asked to serve. I recently spent 3 days camping with them and am prepping for even more fun. My darling hubby and parents are huge helpers with the kiddos. And bonus: my 10yr old niece is here to be a mother's helper for the next month. 

Events in our home that affected our pantry: 
  • a mouse (got to a bag of flour and some dog food before he met his demise)
  • family visiting
  • growth spurts 
  • lots of beach days
Pantry After week 3
Boxes of cereal after week 3: 48
Boxes of cereal after week 4: 43
Boxes of cereal after week 5: 37
Allowable credit purchases: gas, milk, bread, eggs
Cheat: clearance shoes for Katy (I used a self check out credit card only lane...oops!)
Cash purchases: ice cream, Wendy's, Burger King, ice, pizza, naan bread, bananas, apples, strawberries, lettuce, carrots, celery, cucumbers, cilantro, shirts for Levi (store credit), chinese food, leggings for me, a new LuLaRoe skirt for me, flip flops for my niece, lighter, 4 boxes of dog food(she is eating way more than she used to), soda for hubby, Wawa Cookies and Cream milk for me (YUM!)
Boxes/jars opened: 2 peanut butters, 2 jams (accidentally), nutella, fruit snacks, oreos, chips, doritos, 7-Up, zip lock bags, canola oil, chicken broth, bbq sauce, rice, flour, sugar, raspberry lemonade crystal light, hand soap, toilet paper, paper towels, toilet bowl cleaner, cheese its, italian dressing, syrup, box of ramen noodles, dog food, pasta, spaghetti sauce, alfredo sauce, lysol wipes, baby wipes, diapers, automatic dishwashing soap.

Pantry after week 4
Pantry after week 5
Garden goodies: 2 zucchini, 2 large baskets of green beans,

Gardening woes: vine burrowing bugs have attacked my zucchini plants AGAIN! I was devastated last year when I lost my plant to it. I recognized the signs this year and tried to be proactive. It has helped so far. A few leaves unexpected die and start to look weird and orange at the base. I gently tugged on that part of the plant and the whole thing easily snaps free. The bugs eat at the base of the plant and leave big holes in the vine. I threw them in the trash and picked on small zucchini to discover a giant grub(i think) inside the tip. Both of my plants have been affected. I read on one blog that they pour wood ashes around the base of their small plants to prevent the pests from laying their eyes on the leaves. They continue to dust the base of the plant with wood ash because the bugs don't like it. Well, after our last firepit I did that and in my mind it is helping. What is left of both plants is still producing and isn't speedily fading, as has happened in the past. So far I have two nice zucchini that are the size of a large cucumber. I made bread today and it is divine!
Goofball making a green bean mustache.
What are you harvesting now?

Happy Summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment