Friday, July 26, 2019

Playground Picks


I'm a South Jersey mama and I thought I'd share a few of our favorite playgrounds. We all have that one playground closest to our house that we frequent, but perhaps you are up for a short drive to find a new fun place to play. This is a short list of ones we are willing to travel to for some fun! They are listed in no particular order.


1. Shark Park, Brigantine
Great place to play on a cool day. This playground is not a place we visit when it's hot. There isn't much shade. But it has a younger low key section and a more complex side. Definitely a fav of ours!






2. All Wars Memorial Park, Linwood
New equipment located at the center of the ball fields. Very fun and beautifully situated near trees.  Climbing equipment is definitely meant for older kids.



3. Cape May Zoo Playgrounds, Cape May Courthouse
Free zoo! Two fun playgrounds. One offers some shade and is intended for smaller ones. The other is large and has a group of swings. My kids of all ages enjoy both playgrounds. We typically park, enjoy the zoo for 90mins or so. Eat a picnic lunch at a pavilion and then play on the playgrounds for an hour. The zoo holds out a bucket asking for donations when you drive in. Feel free to give $1 or $20. They don't turn anyone away.
Image may contain: 4 people, people standing and outdoor

4. Veterans  Memorial Field, Galloway
A nice small playground surrounded by ball fields. Our favorite part about this one is you can take a short walk down to the bay. There is a nice path that takes you out with beautiful views of Atlantic City. We often see little crabs scurrying and birds flying.


5. Field of Dreams, Absecon
A nice handicap accessible playground with a great turf ballfield that is perfect for a family game of kickball.
 

6. Birch Grove, Northfield
Plenty of equipment for a variety of tastes. Playground is spread  out so if there is a field trip attending you are not necessarily going to lose track of your child in the mix. Our favorite part is not the actual playground but the hiking trails to explore after we play.
Image may contain: one or more people, tree, child, outdoor and nature

 
7. Kennedy Park, Somers Point
Beautiful Bay front property. Playground is average size. There is lots of shade, beautiful scenery and a great spot for a picnic or bbq.


8. Tony Canale Park, EHT
Tricky to find. Definitely use your GPS. And even once you enter the sports area you will wonder if you made it to the right spot. Keep driving and you'll find it.
Image result for tony canale park

9. Ventnor Library, Ventnor
Such a great playground right on the beach. Perfect place to go to the beach and then take a playground break. Lots of fun equipment!

Image result for margate library playground

10. Margate Library, Margate
Fun playground next to the beach! Parking lot is limited but there is street parking. Great place to hang out after storytime Wednesday mornings.

Image may contain: 4 people, child and outdoor

11. Imagination Station, Galloway
 A huge structure with lots to do. Swings and smaller equipment around the border and lots of slides and places for playing levels of tag. This wasn't my favorite when I had a toddler because I could never sit and watch here. I had to be following closely because it is large enough they are quickly out of your sight line if you sit on a bench. But it is a favorite of my kids of all ages.

Image result for imagination station galloway nj




Note: we love playgrounds and trying out new places with new tricky equipment. I am not a helicopter parent. I allow my kids to try the new equipment and I encourage them to find a way to make it work. My two year old was a great climber but frequently other parents would try to stop him from climbing high equipment. He would run to me crying because he was told he couldn't do an activity meant for a 6 yr old. I would then come over and supervise him doing the difficult climb. Then the parent who had spoken to him would tell me "oh sorry. I thought he was too little and I didn't know who his parents were. " I told them thank you for looking out for him. I know his strengths and encourage the difficult tasks. I do think some parents find me too hands off at the playground. But in most cases my kids got themselves in tight spots they can usually finish the task or take themselves back to the starting line. The only time my child was injured was on our monkey bars at home and he was stubborn and made bad choices. So please know your children's limits and comfort level when using equipment. Don't assume it is always safe or that it is always dangerous either. Keep a simple first aid kit in your car, an old towel to dry off wet slides, water bottles, and baby wipes.

Be sure to leave a comment and tell us which are your favorites so we can check them out too!

         Have fun and happy Summer!!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. After reading your blog, I think every person should try something new in their life.
    playhouse windows

    ReplyDelete