Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pantry Living Part 2 Starts NOW!

First, this happened....

...which meant it was time for this again!
Here's the deal. My rockin' hubby is a very talented special ed teacher. He works hard in school from Sept until end of June; 10 months of hard earned pay checks. During July and August he does summer school enrichment programs, but its not equal to his 10 month salary. This is my way to help our family survive the awesome summer months. I DO NOT GROCERY SHOP!
Here are my rules to follow:
  1. No non-perishable food purchases
  2. No meat
  3. No paper goods
  4. No toiletries and household cleaners (this includes diapers and wipes)
  5. Cash only for family outings and excursions
  6.  If I choose to splurge on a non-perishable food item (candy bar, bag of chips etc) I must use cash.
Allowable purchases with a credit card or cash:
  1. Fresh veggies and fruit
  2. Milk and dairy products
  3. Eggs
  4. Bread
I had an awesome experience last summer with this experiment. I discovered what foods we can't get enough of (peanut butter) and what foods we don't really eat that much(bbq sauce). I got clever with my meal prep and  was sure to go through our food storage preventing out of date items. I learned to gauge my wants vs my needs. I learned our parents are a valuable resource when I find myself in a bind. And this would never be possible without storage space and an extra fridge and freezer.

So let's get this party started and start living simply and efficiently. Pantry Living for the summer is a lovely life!

No comments:

Post a Comment