Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Shred your meat....trust me.

Summer is too hot for the oven. I try to avoid it if I can. Also I'd rather spend my days at the beach and not in the kitchen. Here's a tip, shred your meat. But I've gotten ahead of myself.

Step 1: Pull out crock pot. Stop moaning, this is simple.

Step 2: Take 1 large chicken breast from the freezer and place in crock pot. (I buy the large packs of fresh chicken breasts at Sam's, usually about $1.88 lb. I bag each large breast in a separate freezer bag.)

Step 3: Add minced garlic (from jar in fridge) and pre-cut onions (from ziplock baggie in freezer) *when chopping onions I chop more than I need and throw the extra in a bag in the freezer. I keep adding to this bag each time I feel the need to chop a fresh onion and I'm set when it is time for a quick prep meal.

Step 4: Pour on the flavor and be generous about it. The following is a list of my fav easy additions:
  • BBQ sauce
  • Ranch dressing, Italian dressing, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder
  • cilantro, salsa
  • sesame ginger marinade
  • seriously, the possibilities are endless......
Step 5: VERY IMPORTANT! Plug in crock pot and turn it on and set lid in place! You laugh, but it has happened to the best of us. Then pick one-
  • Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours ( I prefer high for 5 hours)
  • Cook on LOW for 8 hours
Step 6: Enjoy your day and forget about dinner.

Step 7: After your fun day return to your kitchen and the yummy smells it beholds.

Step 8: Prepare your side dishes. Remember these are what will fill your family's belly. Be generous with the veggies and the starches. The following are a list of my favs:
  • White rice, spanish rice or fried rice
  • Egg noodles or pasta
  • salad (so many options here!)
  • quesadillas
  • black beans and corn
Step 9: Remove crock pot lid and grab 2 forks. Most likely the meat will shred with little effort. Your newly shredded meat will now begin to absorb the additional juices and sauce in the pot. Allow to sit for a few minutes while you plate the side dishes.

Step 10: Place a scoop of shredded chicken on top of ___________(insert side dish here) or inside a tortilla or bun. Remember the meat is meant to be an accent to your meal, not your main staple. The sides are truly what is meant to fill your belly. The meat provides the flavor.

Step 11: Enjoy your food and be amazed at how far shredded meat will stretch.


*note: I usually do this with chicken because it s the least expensive. Similar things can be done with beef and pork. Cook times may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment