Thursday, July 24, 2014

Decadent Chocolate Zucchini Cake

The Pintrest fairies found this recipe for me and thought I should try it out.





Ingredients
    • 2 -3 cups shredded zucchini
    • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
    • 3 eggs
    • 2 c sugar
    • 1 1/2 c applesauce
    • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
    • 2 c all purpose flour
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 7 Tbsp cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1 c semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Glaze
    • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
    • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract


  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan
  2. Grate the zucchinis. I would say between 2-3 cups is perfect.
  3. Combine butter, eggs, sugar, applesauce, zucchini, and vanilla in a large bowl.
  4. Combine the chocolate chips with a couple tablespoons of the flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom while the cake is baking.(This was in the original instructions. Mine still sunk to the bottom and stuck.)
  5. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt,  cocoa powder, cinnamon, and chocolate chips.
  6. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
  7. Pour the batter into a well-greased bundt pan. Bake the cake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for ten minutes before inverting onto a plate. 

Chocolate Glaze: 
  • Combine butter, chocolate chips, corn syrup and vanilla in a microwaveable dish. I use my Pyrex glass measuring cup because it makes it easy to drizzle the glaze over the cake. Heat in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals at 50% power, stirring in between, until nicely melted. Pour over cake and enjoy!
 I shared this cake with my hubby, kids, my mom and a few nieces and nephews. They all scored it a 10 out of 10 except for one who gave it a 9.5. When asked why 9.5 their response was "Because my piece wasn't big enough!"


Hope you enjoy this too! Happy Summer!



*note: I only had cinnamon applesauce so I did not add additional cinnamon to my batter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment