Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Year to date savings...WOW!

I took all three kiddos to Home Depot on Monday. They were awesome in the store and I surprised them with a trip to ShopRite (our grocery store) for donuts. For me it felt like a recovering alcoholic entering a bar. I had to stay focused on our walk to the bakery and then to check out with cash in hand. My eyes kept straying to the sale signs and the weekly specials. But I was strong and we made it out of the store with only our 5 donuts and the receipt. (I used my cash, so it isn't cheating. ) 

I am a huge fan of ShopRite. At the end of each shopping trip my kids and I park our cart near the exit as I review my receipt to check for possible errors on their part or mine. If they overcharge me for an item they refund my money for it entirely on the first item, and if I bought several of the same item they refund me the difference on all additional overcharges. I am the type of person if they didn't charge me enough I will go back and make sure to pay them what I owe. Its not worth losing sleep over a can of corn. Honesty always! Or if I misread a sale sign and wasn't pleased with the real price they will accept the return with no problem.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts of the receipt shows me my Current Savings, how much I saved today with coupons, sales and discounts. I love to compare that number with my Purchase Total, for example on April 23 I spent $46.63 and saved $76.24. It makes you feel good!

Well, after we bought our donuts I glanced at the bottom of the receipt. Today, I didn't save anything so that section didn't appear on the receipt. The donuts were the same price as always (meaning cheaper than Dunkin' Donuts). Instead I got my shopping high from the Year to Date Savings which is printed at the bottom of every receipt calculated with my Price Plus Card customer number. That awesome number is $1,341.84. That's right! My deal watching, coupon clipping, reusable bag using self has kept over thirteen hundred dollars in the bank. It feels good :)

My point is it will be worth your while to carry in those reusable bags you get $.05 for each time you use one. It will be worth your time to browse those coupons you get in the mail and clip the 3 random things you might buy. It will be worth your time to look over your local store's weekly ad to see what good sales are featured each week and make your list beforehand. It will be worth your while to buy three tubs of that oatmeal your kids like when its on sale instead of just one. $1,341.84 is worth it to you and me!

Happy Summer and Happy Savings!

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, you're amazing! You inspire me to want to use coupons! Go Mel!

    ReplyDelete