Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Forgot to buy it, so I made it myself!

Occasionally I make a tuna casserole. I'm not a huge fan of cream of _______ soups. I find them all to taste a bit salty. I keep a few cream of mushroom soups on hand for green bean casserole, and sometimes cream of celery for my tuna casserole. Well, I discovered I had no cream of celery for a tuna casserole. Thanks to modern technology I jumped on Google and researched some recipes. I think I've found a winner and WAY better than any from a can.

Here it is. I found it (and adapted it) from allrecipes.com.



  • 2-1/4 cups chicken stock ( I used broth)
  • 9 ounces celery, chopped
  • 1-1/2 ounces carrots,chopped
  • 1-1/2 ounces onions, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt  
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper 
  • 2-1/4 cups hot milk 
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • scoop of minced garlic 

 
  1. Melt butter in pot. Add veggies and saute slightly. Add stock or broth and bring to a boil.
  2. Whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, and milk.
  3. Boil for 10 minutes stirring regularly. 

The original recipe suggested you remove the cooked veggies or use a stick blender to puree them. I like the soft veggie chunks so I left them as is. This was delicious on noodles with a can of tuna fish mixed in and crumbled potato chips on top. Or this would be great for soup. As a soup I would add come chopped cooked chicken and maybe add a sprinkle of cheese. But I don't think I'll be buying those cans of creamed anything anymore. 


Happy Summer!
*note: they measured it in ounces but I just chopped the veggies according to how much I like of each one. Don't stress about the specific amounts for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment