Friday, July 11, 2014

Pantry Living Week 3

Another week has come and gone.

Pantry after week 3
Here is the update
  1. Cereal count after week 2: 39
  2. Cereal count after week 3: 35
  3. Purchases made: milk, eggs, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, peanuts (I used cash)
  4. Non food purchases: eye make-up remover, kid vitamins, command strips (adhesive things to hold pics on the wall), and flat batteries
  5. Truthfully, my goal is to not purchase any non food items either. These items I had to "cheat" and purchase. Before pantry living began I accidentally bought waterproof mascara instead of the regular stuff. Trust me, it was a needed purchase. The vitamins are my kids' incentive to brush their teeth and after church we returned home to find our large frame holding all 3 kids' 8x10 pics had crashed to the floor, so new command strips were a must. The batteries were for my hubby's alarm clock, so of course that is a must (and I used cash).
  6. My hubby learned a great new recipe at the summer enrichment program he is working at the school. Cheesy Garlic Cheddar Biscuits. I will post it soon. I love it when he cooks :) 
  7. Amazon purchase of new air conditioning filters cause our AC is acting up and that is the possible culprit. Unfortunately, they have yet to arrive so we're a bit toasty in here. No, Home Depot doesn't carry our size filter. We tried several times. 
  8. We opened a pack of cookies, a bottle of automatic dish soap,  a bottle of hand dish soap, and a jar of spaghetti sauce.
  9. Boardwalk treats, paid for with cash: ice cream and cotton candy
  10. Our garden is growing like crazy with our recent rainfall. We have lots of tomatoes, peppers, green beans and zucchini growing. We've harvested green beans several times already, but today we picked our first zucchini! It is 14 inches long and will make some yummy bread.
    Happy Summer!
    *note: in my pantry the cereals are organized for space efficiency. If you see the front of the box it is because there are more than 3 boxes of that same kind. I can fit more on the shelf that way. Once there are 3 or fewer the boxes are turned sideways. 

    2 comments:

    1. I think it's funny that you guys fly through so much cereal, cuz we do too! That's my staple, my go-to food, any time of day. Ha ha. I wonder how well I would do at your system of pantry living. It would force me to cook better and more often and learn how to stretch food out longer. We suck at that. It might be good for us.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. And the amazing part is we only eat cereal for breakfast. I'm terrified how many boxes we'll go through when they're all teenagers. I better buy stock in cereal :) If you decide to give Pantry Living a try I'd love to hear about your experience!

        Delete