Sunday, August 24, 2014

Life can be hard

I'm a bag of emotions. I feel pain for my son who is splinted from foot to hip after his fall from the monkey bars. Guilt washes through me as I recall how I told him from a distance he could accomplish them all by himself without me as he cried for help. Relief calms my soul as I remember the tender mercy of the Lord because I bought a phenomenal extra wide single stroller at a yard sale yesterday morning for only $10. This stroller is my little man's "wheelchair" at the moment. Financial peace is granted as I hand my insurance card to everyone we meet. Embarrassed as the nurses wrap his feet and see the dirt smudges from his barefoot adventures. Laughter fills the air as the pain killers calm him and we can see the silly side of life and pretend every superhero has a broken leg too. My superhero is temporarily out of commission. My heart aches as I reflect on his muscular form in his new Captain America costume he wore most of the day yesterday. He flexed throughout lunch and would respond to all our questions with a thumbs up and a deep voice. Concern and confusion take over as I contemplate my life for the next while.

Four hours of interrupted sleep is all that's in my fuel tank this morning. Today life seems hard. My back is sore, my ankles are swollen and my baby within is getting anxious. The last few weeks I've encouraged my baby to make his debut, how quickly that changed. I need this baby to wait as long as he can and perhaps add a few days beyond the due date.

But the Lord continues to bless me. He swept my little man off to dream land after many hours of writhing in pain. He brings my hubby to the rescue when my words and back aren't enough. He granted me wonderful parents who fill in all my gaps and missing links. He allows me social media to reach out to family and friends who in return offer prayers and well wishes. He soothes my soul during all of this. He forgives my wrongs and lifts my chin reminding me I get another chance.

Today life is hard, but at least I know I'm not left alone.


1 comment:

  1. This too shall pass! Isn't it crazy how life likes to dump a lot of things on you at once? The perfect storm. That sucks so bad about his leg, but I bet he'll remember it and learn from it... or at least think it was cool. He won't blame you like you blame yourself. :) ... Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete