Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My cup is overflowing

My life is more interesting lately than seems necessary. Five days ago I was back to school shopping, signing my son up for soccer, and washing new born baby clothes. In the past few days my energetic 4yr old son broke his leg, got a blue long leg cast, and I've just about lost my mind. I've averaged 5 hrs of sleep each night and have sought therapeutic relief from heating pads, chocolate, and caffeinated sodas.

The cast will remain for 6-8 weeks. My due date is in two weeks, and my hubby returns to teaching in one week. The math is not in my favor. And added bonus: As we pull into our driveway from the orthopedic surgeon we notice our street is full of dump trucks, excavators and various construction vehicles that will be digging our street for the next 45 days. See, I told you it is more interesting than necessary.

So here are the contents of my "cup": swollen belly, heavy immobile child, two other energetic girls desiring my attention, and a partially accessible street. Upon first glance it appears only half-full of lemon juice. But upon closer observation the sugar is added.
1tsp sugar- My baby within is active and healthy. Honestly, the hospital stay may be more like a vacation.
3tsp sugar- My son's sturdy blue cast now allows him to start rolling over and giving his healing bone more support so the pain killers are no longer necessary.
The latest in preschooler fashion Blue Long Leg Casts!
7tsp sugar- Social media has once again blessed our lives. A sweet angel saw my need for a pediatric wheelchair and acquired it for free. He is now getting around the house better and able to join us for meals at the table. He loves his new ride!
Not the best shot of the wheelchair but it is glorious! And they are enjoying wind up motor boats I found on sale today in dishes of water.

3tsp sugar- Kind friends and family have showered us with love and concern. My little one's received get well cards, toy trucks, a movie and a giant get well cookie. 
So awesome!
4tsp sugar-My girls are beautiful and maddening all at once. They make me smile and grit my teeth in the same breath. 
my girls are good helpers.....most of the time.
10tsp sugar- the variety of construction vehicles roaming our small street is loud. My children's ears perk up at each engine roar and horn blast. This requires us to race to the front porch. We sit and wave as the workers pass. We try to imagine what their next move will be. Breakfast is enjoyed to the blaring sounds of a concrete cutter. Afternoon popsicles cool us as the two-story tall excavator is delivered.

My cup isn't perfect. It is covered in sticky finger smudges. The rim is lipstick stained. The lemonade is sometimes cloudy, but it is sweet to the taste. Our Heavenly Father blesses us more than we deserve. He carries me through the dark days and holds my hand through the sunny ones. I'm still tired, my patience is short and my back aches. But my heart is full, and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Just...wow. Your ability to see the blessings in the midst of some pretty rough times is a blessing to us all. Thanks for sharing your experiences. (BTW, have you done something silly like pray for patience? ;) Just kidding!). Love you all--good luck with all these growing opportunities over the next several weeks (...ok and months).

    ReplyDelete